The other night we ate stamppot. It is a typical Dutch food.
Stamppot is mashed potatoes with endive. We call it Andijvie Stamppot.
Stamppot is prepared by boiling the vegetables and potatoes separately. Once done, the potatoes are added to the same pot as the vegetables and all are thoroughly mashed together with stamppot gravy. Some people add applesauce to this mix for extra flavor and/or to soften the mix. A rookworst is the preferred piece of meat to be added to the dish. Some eat it together with meatballs.
There are various kinds of stamppot.
- mashed potatoes with onions and carrots
- mashed pototoes with kale
- mashed potatoes with sauerkraut
- mashed potatoes with spinach
- mashed potatoes with runner beans
- mashed potatoes with sprouts
- mashed potatoes with cabbage
Dutch people eat stamppot in the winter because this food gives more resistance against the cold weather.
In my next post I will show you how to make Boerenkool (kale) Stamppot. We eat potatoes four times a week and the rest of the days pasta and rice. My kids like rice. They are really Filipinos.